Wolverhampton Civic Hall was home to the Mighty 4 manual 57 rank Compton organ, originally installed in 1938 as 53 ranks plus a Melotone (electrostatic) unit.
There have only been two Borough Organists, Arnold Richardson (1938-1973) and Steve Tovey (1990 - 2016). Steve became the City Organist in 2000 when Wolverhampton gained City status.
The organ was used for regular light classical and theatre organ concerts and was also, on occasion, used for dancing.
The organ was enlarged from original specification with four theatre organ ranks (Tibia Clausa, English Horn, Brass Saxophone and Kinura) which helped in it's function as a useful Civic organ.
*** BREAKING NEWS***
It is with sadness that it was confirmed recently that the 4/57 Compton Concert organ which was originally installed and was still housed in the Wolverhampton Civic Hall has been scrapped.
Due to "possible asbestos contamination" of the organ, the largest of its kind built by John Compton company, has already been scrapped as contaminated waste.